Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Computer issues

Wow, even the experts can sometimes totally mess up their computers!  Sunday night I realized I had not done my Sales and Use taxes and they were due on Monday.  Since I was traveling Monday, I knew I had to get it done that night.  I had just turned off the computer to pack it (it was 10:30 pm).  So I turned the computer back on and tried to open Quickbooks.  Unfortunately, my computer had different ideas.  It wouldn't load and made me reinstall it.  I knew updates had loaded to the computer when I shutdown, so I thought I would just roll back the clock and restore the system to before those updates were installed.  Well, that didn't work.   So I tried reinstalling the program.  That didn't work.  I tried repairing the program, that didn't work.  I tried removing, shutting down and reinstalling, that didn't work.  I tried removing, turning off the virus protection, removing all traces of the program from the registry (you probably haven't had to do that ever) and reinstalling…..that didn't work.  I tried a clean install from the Quickbooks website, that didn't work.  Bottom line is I tried everything and never did get my Quickbooks to work, so I purchase a new version.   I had been working in Quickbooks earlier in the day and had done a lot of work and no I didn't backup before closing the program.  My last backup was in December.  One of the messages I had received while trying to install the program was where the files were saved.  They were saved in the App Data folder and luckily the auto backup had clicked in, however the App Data files are hidden files on the computer.  I really couldn't remember where I was supposed to choose to show those files, but I knew they were hidden files.  So I right mouse clicked on my main identity, chose Properties and press the incorrect button.  I thought I was choosing to show hidden files on my computer, evidently I selected to hide my main identity.  By 4:30 am I was too tired from trying to install programs that I gave up and pulled files from my backup thinking I could limp through the seminar until I had time to work the problem out.  Best laid plans and all of that…. we got to one section and low and behold I had hidden all the files in My Documents from myself and couldn't reach those files.…..Good news is at lunch, I was able to fix the computer in the Control panel.  By choosing Folder option and show hidden files.  Then in Windows explorer, I selected the hidden identity, right mouse clicked on it and selected Properties.  I then removed the checkmark from in front of Hide folders and files (something to that nature).  It was the square that I had activated.

Just goes to show it can happen to everyone!

Tonight I was able to get everything back in place where they are supposed to be located.  Whoo Hoo!

Thanks Baton Rouge for bearing with me and the computer today.  Since even the Mac had issues!  See you tomorrow!  Come back in with bells on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions! I had to temporarily disable the comments due to a lot of spam coming through. Hopefully, we are past that now.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.